Monday 24 October 2011

Tracheostomy removed

This should be my (Simon) final update before dad takes over the reigns again.  We're hopefully going to get the internet sorted for him today so he should be back on it from tonight onwards.

Over the weekend he's had all drains removed and the tracheostomy has been taken out.  He's started drinking again and should be eating some food today or tomorrow.  An unusual story as to how he started drinking.  I got a text on Saturday morning saying they'd put a jug of water and a cup on his table.  He said he was really thirsty, so he drank the lot.  At around 5pm, the horrified doctors realised he'd drank the whole jug (he is supposed to be nil by mouth) and told him it was supposed to be for cleaning his tracheostomy!!  It worked out in his favour though as they realised he could drink and so the tracheostomy was removed later that day.

He's still improving at a good rate and his speech is getting better.  He went for an extended walk yesterday to the other end of the ward because he "hadn't seen any grass in over a week".

Thanks to everyone that's been reading this over the last few weeks and thanks for the kind messages of support.

Over to dad...

2 comments:

  1. Simon, thanks for keeping us informed. I didnt know your Dad had such influence over me. I went to bed thinking of him and woke in the morning the same.Its great to hear of his progress. He is a great fighter and probably his difficult rate payers of the IDB has stood him in good stead after all. Chris will know who I mean. Your Ping golf clubs will get an outing sooner than we all thought, I am sorry that I will not be compeeting against him as my golf days are over. Keep up the fight Chris and I am sure Lynn will look forward to the day you see the green green grass of Lincolnshire again.
    David Means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .........at last I've managed to access the blog....NHS firewall a little too good at times, well done Chris by all accounts recovering at a record breaking pace, looking forward to catching up with you when you come home. ( I think the blog has been great so far.....good suggestion !)

    Cheers

    Dr Andrew Wass ( GP )

    ReplyDelete