Thursday 24 November 2011

Ooops ! Not the best move in the world

This last week has gone fairly well, the traccy hole has sealed up and doesn't need any more treatment and the walking, talking and eating is improving at a good rate of knots. I've been out for a meal at some very good friends and have had a couple of visitors. The oncologist rang as promised, but didn't have any more news - despite more investigations, the tumour remains unidentifiable. I always knew I was a one off, but I would have preferred on this occasion, to have a run of the mill type of tumour which would have been treated elsewhere. Still, the investigation continues and I was due back at Birmingham on Wednesday next when they were hoping for a breakthrough - find the tumour type then the chemo type can be mixed and given to me. We wait and hope. However, this morning we had a little incident which threw all of the plans into disarray. The District Nurse had arranged for a waterproof cover for my leg so that I could take a shower. Its a really good bit of kit, totally waterproof and I can have a 10 minute shower instead of sliding around in the bath. This morning, as I got dried after my shower, I felt unwell. Lynn managed to help me get into a chair before I passed out.Within a few minutes we had 2 burly RAF Lives staff followed by 2 paramedics complete with blue light blaring ambulance. I had come round by the time they had arrived and my temp, heart,blood pressure etc., was ok..Nevertheless, it was decided to take me to Lincoln A&E . That was educational. There are 10 cubicles and throughout my 6 hour stay in and out, there was never less than 5 patients on trolleys all over the ward waiting for a cubicle. I started in the corridor, went to room 4, back into the corridor, into room 6, back into the corridor,back to room 4, off to X-ray, back to the corridor, into room 10 and finally discharged. It was absolute bedlam.There is an obvious shortage of rooms and staff to match. After much debate , poking, prodding, photo taking, blood sampling et al, it was decided  that the skin graft was not healing properly in one place and I had reacted to the poison, despite going on penicillin a couple of days ago when last Thursdays swab had highlighted a batch of bugs.There was some debate about orthopedic surgery in Lincoln. I didn't like the sound of that, so I got Lynn to ring my consultant at QE, Birmingham. Net result - I go back into QE tomorrow as an in-patient to get my wound sorted, so I will try to keep the blog going, but everything will depend on availability of Computer plugs etc,.So bye for now-
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment