Thursday 17 November 2011

Euphoria, for a few hours

Another Wednesday,another trip to QE Birmingham.A decent journey down, Lynn is getting used to idiots on motorways and I'm beginning to relax a bit in the back seat. It still doesn't stop me getting frustrated - its 31 days since I last drove, I cant remember such a long break since I passed my test 41 years ago.
Really good news at QE. The surgeons and oncologists agree that they are as certain as they can possibly be that the surgery has removed all of the tumour and the lympth glands which were removed from my neck showed no signs of cancer. ALL CLEAR.
I agreed to more photos, more x-rays and help in publicity,after all its the least I can do in the circumstances.The leg is not healing as well as we would like and a regime change is suggested. It has started to smell a little of rotting flesh- a similar smell to when I burnt my arm on the lawnmower a few years ago. It doesn't look infected but further tests are needed. The swelling of my face has reduced further,but there is still some way to go.The dietitian and speech therapist are really pleased with progress and I met the chap who will be inserting prosthetic teeth in my leg bone, possibly earlier than planned. Oncologist would ring me later in the evening as he had other appointments. So we left Birmingham in the middle of rush hour ( you think Lincoln and Boston is bad - it took an hour to get out of the city ) finally got home just after 8, still in very good humour.
Oncologist rang around 9 as planned. He explained that all was well and he would try to get a course of 6 x 3 weekly chemotherapy treatments at Lincoln , if they were up for it. Then he dropped the bombshell, I must admit I half expected it. The tumour is very unusual, so much so that they have no idea if or where it will strike again, but watch the lungs.Because of the lack of knowledge, they are unable to find out which gene is faulty and as a result, the chemo will be , in my words because he was struggling, an analytical estimation of the the required elements and dosage ( in English that means a bloody good guess ). He will conduct further tests and make appropriate arrangements and ring next Tuesday evening in the hope of a breakthrough.
I really do hope that a secondary can be prevented, the surgery is marvellous, all of the surgeons are so proud of their work, justifiably, and we were planning to use as much as we could for training, not just in the UK , but internationally. So fingers crossed . Of course, it might be that there is no secondary, no-one knows because of the lack of experience in dealing with this type of tumour. I think first round to Chris and the surgeons, second round starts soon.
Hope all my readers are well- will blog again soon, possibly after the weekend. Dan and Han are coming to stay and will be bringing their wedding DVD - I forgot to mention that I missed my eldest sons wedding, but Skype worked fairly well so I saw most of it, heard all of it, didn't have to buy a new suit and managed to upset one of the bridesmaids with my pre-recorded speech. Not bad for a mornings work.
Bye for now
Chris

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you have had quite a day and what wonderful news Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled for you that things all appear to be going so well.

    Would it be wrong to say keep your chin up and I hope to see you soon.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete