Saturday 6 April 2013

Bucket List complete

Good morning to you all,
I know its been some time since my last blog, but life has gone on with little respite. How much do I like life now.
 My bucket list is now complete. To those who are not aware, I had a compilation photo at my bedside during the dark days following my op, which detailed all of the activities I enjoyed and intended to replicate as soon as I could. The photos ranged from a pint of Guinness ( completed upon release after my first op-thanks Si ) included various foods, driving again ( January),watching football ( January if you count Lincoln as football!!),playing Golf ( March) umpiring a cricket match ( September),appearing in the village pantomime( January 2013) and finally skiing.After much debate with my consultant, misgivings from my wife and agreeing to a whole host of safety measures and other constraints,my two sons,Daniel and Simon and I flew to Kitzbuhel in Austria for a few days for some spring skiing.Whilst I was told that it would take two years for the bone in my leg to regrow totally, I was confident that I had enough power and strength in my legs to do it. We skied the Hahnenkamm, the steepest of the six hills in the winter world series, from top to bottom without a stop twice.Albeit our times were considerably slower than those recorded by  Ligerty , Raich and co ( They clock around 2 minutes, we were nearer 20 ) but we did it. In total we skied 53 km in the three days we were there and had a really good time. Unfortunately, the shine was taken off the holiday as I caught a bug on the way home ( possibly on the plane) and from the Sunday morning to late Tuesday had to stay in close proximity to a loo. Lost 8lbs in those three days, but gradually putting it back on again.
Now getting well used to the new teeth, eating remains a minor problem as I'm much slower than I used to be, but maybe that is good for my digestion.
I feel fitter now than I've done for years and have taken on a few jobs with various councils and a church to keep the brain cells ticking over.
Its back to Birmingham on the 17th for my check up with my consultant, armed with a video of the skiing which he wants to use for his illustrated talks around the world. I knew I would be famous one day, problem is no one will know who this person behind the mask and helmet is .
I'll blog again soon. Enjoy spring- when it finally arrives
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment