Friday 2 December 2011

Home Again

Back home after almost a week in QE Birmingham. It transpires that one of my tendons grew over part of the skin graft (or the graft tried to grow under the tendon) resulting in the graft not taking and dying off. The skin started to rot, my body wasn't up to fighting that infection so thats why I fell over. QE pumped me full of various chemicals ( could have been anti- biotics but I dont know one drug from another ), then after 12 doses over 3 days, took me down to theatre, put me out again and cleaned out all the dead crap, removed the part of offending tendon and took a new skin graft from my upper thigh ( that wasn't explained to me, it was a bit close for comfort when I saw the dressing !!). The new graft has been stitched and stapled into place. After another 4 doses intravenously, I was allowed out at 6.30, Wednesday night - after a little discussion, with a weeks dose of something similar to be swallowed.
The main op. continues to improve, I can eat most things now, but cant eat bread; the jaw is as flexible as it was before the op.; my speech is so good that I was confident enough to give a short eulogy yesterday, and whilst there is still some swelling, it is going down to the degree that ,from the front, I look like me , the right side almost looks like me, and the left side looks like me after a couple of rounds with a poorly sighted boxer with a weak punch.So apart from this little setback ( which , of course had its benefits, thats another set of nurses who will carefully analyse potential admissions for a month or two !! ) Friends - when I see you, ask about El Grabbi and Nurse Tsio - cant use this forum but we had some fun with both.
Still no news on getting a match on the tumour - I presume its still growing in the laboratory, but my surgeon tells me that if they cant sort it and decide to forego the chemo, then he will fit prosthetic teeth into my lower jaw in 3 months -so look out cow , when I start to chew your days are numbered !!
Back to Birmingham next Thursday for a wound check, then we will see how the land lies.
Bye for now
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment