Friday 3 February 2012

Ups and Downs continue

Good Afternoon All,
I'm starting to think that all these changes are designed to test my sense of humour. After the last week or two I was getting more and more confident that I was on top of these little problems and that it was only a matter of time before I was out and about doing everything I wanted but .......
The week started well - I sold the raffle tickets at this years pantomime.This gave me the chance to see what reaction, if any, I would get from people who meet me only occasionally.There were no odd looks or comments, in fact, the only comments I got were from people asking why I wasn't in this years production and one asked if I had broken my leg.That gives me the confidence to know that my appearance has almost returned to normal- what I see is not what other people see. I stayed for all 3 performances, which all went down very well. The male contingent ( now up to 4 ) all performed extremely well - a far cry from being the only male on occasions in the past. The ladies always perform well, but ,then again, some of them have performed more often than some professionals. Three good shows and another £1000 + raised for the village hall.
District Nurse arrived on Monday to dress the leg, all looked OK, but the results of last Wednesdays swab were still awaited,so, on course for the fitness regime to start - for all of ten minutes. Thats the amount of time between one District Nurse leaving and a second one arriving with the results of the swab ( yet another infection ) and a prescription of some of the foulest tasting anti-biotics I have ever had the misfortune to swallow. These are particularly strong - absolutely no alcohol and a long list of common side-effects. Considering that I've planned meals out tonight and tomorrow ( Saturday ), that really puts a spoke in the wheel.
Tuesday was a little better, the physio is fairly pleased with my progress to date and suggested a few additional exercises but swimming is not a 'runner' until the leg heals.Started with a cold, but two days of nose running and doses of hot lemon has sorted it out.  Wednesday saw the visit to Bassetlaw Hospital where I saw a very nice young Asian female doctor  who examined my skull, pronounced my wound as 'sun damage' and proceeded to fire a carton of liquid nitrogen at the wound. The temperature of this stuff is minus 'a lot', it felt a little like a red hot poker but I've had worse and let her keep going until she had finished the treatment. Looks sore at present, but not much pain and I'm due back in three months, but it is not skin cancer.
Thursday saw the return of the District Nurse, having decided to let it go for another day. Removal of the bandages showed a deterioration in the wound, it is now back discharging slough, so back to 3 visits a week.
I've decided to walk on it to get my fitness back and did a mile this morning with no pain, so we will see what the next visit brings. Expect another swab next week - at least I will get one week to get a pint or two in. I'll let you know how I get on.
Best Wishes
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment