Sunday 24 February 2019

Still Breathing

Good Evening everyone,
Profuse apologies for my failure to update you on the events of the last year. Contrary to some reports, I haven't expired. My lack of posting is solely due to an incredibly busy last fourteen months.
Starting with the medical side of the blog, which is why most of you log in, there is very little to report. I now have a fixed schedule of visiting Mr.Parmar, my consultant, once a year. The appointment rarely last more than 10 minutes. A discussion followed by a check of my neck for lumps, growths etc., but I have the added security of being able to contact him at any time if I suspect anything unusual. My dental work is examined every three months (twice by my NHS dentist, Jose Lopez Garrido, and twice by Khallid Malik my dental consultant)who travels from Birmingham to Peterborough for a weekly clinic. Once a year, the construction (bridge) is removed,deep cleaned and replaced. I have had a problem with a small area around one of the steel pillars since they were installed six years ago. Its a small growth which comes and goes;but it never disappears for long. The leg is now almost as strong as my left but because of the paper-thin skin I don't take any risks with it as it takes so long to heal when I get a cut or similar.
On the social front, life has been incredibly hectic.A couple of years ago, a group of us decided that there was a lack of understanding, information and advocacy around Head and Neck Cancer. We set up a group named Head and Neck Cancer UK (HANCUK) . I was appointed Chairman and have spent hours travelling around the country meeting people and giving talks to publicise what is now a Charity. After so many false starts and obstacles we are now up and running with a website www.hancuk.org  which has been very well received - have a look , see what you think. It has been written by patients for patients in a language that most patients will understand.
I have given presentations in Cambridge, Hertfordshire and in the marbled halls of the Royal College of Physicians in London; taken part in events in Amsterdam,met some really committed ladies in Glasgow,been featured on BBC Radio Lincolnshire and voiced a video for a pharma company, which is due out sometime soon.
Because of the workload involved with HANCUK, I have had to drop out of many of the organisations I have been involved with for so many years. My last production on stage was January 2018 when I played Sheriff of Nottingham in Touch of Class' performance of Robin Hood. I resigned as Chairman and later as a member of our parish council and umpired my last cricket game in September. Something had to give but I retain my season ticket following Lincoln City (magical times) and still organise the former players group.
Life is good. Every day is a good day. I hope to blog again at more regular intervals. Enjoy life.
Best wishes to all
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment